Now, for yesterday...what a busy day...yesterday was Dia de la Patria....Independence Day...To be honest, its not a one day affair...As in most Latin American countries, parties insued all week. The day before, there were concerts in the town squares and children brought their lanterns to light the night with excitement...A torch is passed from one town to the next, kind of like the olympics, more or less...without the games portion... Being my first real cultural experience, I have a great story from this week...I was at the local supermarket buying some water and soy milk, when I noticed a song playing...I went along with my business, but noticed, no one was moving. It was like you see in a movie or a dream...Everyone knkows something and YOU dont...I stopped and put it together in my head... the song playing was their NATIONAL ANTHEM...they were being respectful...Stupid American me! haha The first of many offensive things Ill do here accidentally...
Anyway, so back to Independence Day...We started our day off haha at 7 am with our neighbor Perla. Shes adopted us as he daughters and wanted to teach us how to make gallo pinto..beans and rice..After a family breakfast, we went to the parades where most of the schools march down the street, lined with pridefilled parents and relatives...
Next, I went with some friends about 45 mins up into the mountains to this beautiful little town..the food was bad, but the view and the scenary made up for every bite! They had neat sculpted trees in the town square...
No comments:
Post a Comment