A couple of days ago, I went to Conversa Language School to speak to a group of students about what I do here in CR. They are students from my university, who've come here to take Spanish classes for the month of January. It was so strange being back there because I was there in 2005 as a student. I NEVER would've guessed that God would have me back in Costa Rica LIVING in 2010. I think I like it better this way...the whole "not-knowing-anything-that-God-will-do-in-the-future" plan! :)
Yesterday was an interesting day. We went to feed the people living in the streets of the Red Light District, like we do every Saturday night. We spend a few minutes in the streets themselves, then spend the majority of the rest of our time in a homeless shelter, feeding the people, listening to them, giving them a lesson from the Bible, and playing board games or what have you. Last night, I spoke with a man named Juan Carlos. Juan Carlos is from Nicaragua, but he has lived in Costa Rica most of his life. He told me a little about himself, how he struggles with alcoholism and that he should be dead from a knife fight he got into a few years back. We talked about how God very obviously has a plan for His life and that He's not through using him, especially considering 1 inch more and the knife would've been through his heart. It was a really emotional night for me. I'm always interested how God will put things into my mind of how to relate to others. There are times when I think, what could I possibly offer these people from MY life? Obviously, Christ is all I have to offer. But last night, He made an interesting connection...
I offered my own experience. I told Juan Carlos about how I had lost a family member who had struggled with alcoholism and I how we as a family, and especially his children, had to hurt from some of his life choices. I told him that I didn't want that for his family and that he has to rely on God to get through this, if not for his ownsake, for the sake of his family. Needless to say, it was a difficult night, but I hope to see that God will use sorrow for joy...
On a lighter note, today I went to a very typical Costa Rican church to visit a pastor we know. We were there for 2 hours...intense. The praise and worship was super lively and the kids enjoyed dancing in the aisles. I imagine everyone went home and rested afterwards! It was interesting to see small churches because I go to a rather large church...I really love seeing new parts of Costa Rica...
No comments:
Post a Comment