Thursday, April 14, 2011

an unreached Christian nation...

Thanks to some great student's from Liberty University, Tuesday we were able to hand out school packages to many of the families in the precario neighbhorhood. These packages included pencils, pens, a school pouch, and a notebook. It was such a blessing for the families because these sort of school supplies tend to be out of the budget for most families. It was a fun day to bless others with a helping hand. I have photos, but I can't get them to load :) You'll just have to imagine it! Wednesday, I met with Gerlynn to spend some time and talk about what she thinks about God. I'm still trying to figure out where she's at. She's really something! She's 12 and reads the Psalms in the morning and the evening. Impressive for a 12 year old right!? I asked her: "Why did Jesus die on the cross?" She told me, rather quickly:"To save us from our sins!" Then, I asked her what does "sin" mean. She looked at me puzzled, not knowing where to go from there. We talked about perfect people. She might of come to my house thinking she was perfect, but she left with an awakening that no one can achieve such position apart from Jesus. It seems normal to me for a child of 12 to think of themselves as perfect. If I do what my parents say, don't hit my brother, and try my hardest in school, I'm doing pretty well in life. With time, I hope that she will understand what monster lies beneath us all: our sin nature. What is unsettling to me are the many people in this unreached Christian nation whom I've met that have never grow past this mentality. They're Christian by their talk and unreached by their walk/lifestyle. The 30-40 somethings whom still believe if I try really hard, do good things, and say the right "Sunday school answers," I will achieve favor in the eyes of my Creator. To not be God is to be a sinner. If we could only understand our desperate need for Christ. The most righteous action and the most Jesus-y words will not gain me the favor of a Holy God without Christ's sacrafice and His blood covering my life. I realize we're all in the process, I just pray that Costa Rica will know Christ in a real way, that makes their beliefs and actions explode together to spark anyone/thing near them.

No comments: