Right now, I'm at the mechanic waiting to get my car back. I needed to get the brakes fixed so I changed my schedule around and came in today. I put it off for a little while but realized it was time. I love my mechanic...they're really great people. They always try to show me what they've done and teach me about what my car needs or what part they've changed. It's always a humbling experience because I never really understand the vocabulary they're using. I can always understand why they changed a part or what its purpose is, but since I never learned the parts of the car in English, it makes it an adventure in Spanish. My university should've had a "Spanish for Mechanics" class...
So today, they are changing my cars zapatos. Which in English, it means they're changing my cars shoes. I guess my car walks a lot! What I don't like is that my cars "shoes" cost more than what I spend on shoes! Fancy footwear...
In Costa Rica, if you are not married in the Catholic church (the national religion) you must be married and sign the papers with an attorney. So, this Saturday night I went to my fiance's sister's "wedding" to sign the papers. Technically they don't count it as their real marriage day because they will have the ceremony later in April. I had a culture shock moment though when the lawyer started talking about Jesus and giving a small sermon about marriage in Christ. I explained to them later that if you got married in court or with an official representing the government of the United States, there is NO WAY that person would speak of Jesus, let alone preach! You could loose your certification by doing something like that! It was quite interesting. Marcos surprised Anita with a Mariachi band, which was a cultural experience as well...check out the photos!

No comments:
Post a Comment