Monday, September 10, 2012

Little Distractions

Last Tuesday at the Isla, we had a study of 1 John and God's love. We were in the middle of an in-depth study and everyone was commenting on the subject. As Helen began to comment on forgiveness, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something dart on from one side of the kitchen to the other. I didn't think anything of it, since often I tend to see things that don't end up being anything important. As Bible study continued, I saw something once again. This time I saw it enough to identify it as a mouse. He darted back and forth like he owned that kitchen, scurrying right to left, left to right.  I tried not to make any noise because I didn't want to distract anyone. All I could think about what the bread sitting on the counter that we would have with coffee in 30 minutes. He kept running from one side of the kitchen floor to the other and I started smiling at the humor. Finally, someone asked me what was going on and I told them about the mouse. Patricia, the owner of the house, seemed to know all about him and commented about needing a cat. Bible study proceeded and I tried my hardest to concentrate. I didn't want to be the Gringo who's afraid of a little mouse...but I am! I'm not used to them at ALL. Again, Helen was commenting on a few things and this time I couldn't hold it in. I just couldn't. It's as if the mouse knew I was scared; he could smell my fear. He headed towards me and I screamed and jumped up. There's only so much distraction I can take!!! I was defeated by my little distraction. It's official. I'm not okay with the kitchen help.

No comments: