Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter in Costa Rica.




This Sunday I woke up so excited about Easter. It's EASTER! Time to dye eggs and eat yummy food, talk about the ressurection, and enjoy with family! I was determined to bring a little bit of USA tradition to my fiance's family. We're going to dye eggs, I thought. They were excited to join in even though they didn't understand the idea behind the eggs.


I went to church and there was a guest speaker. I was so distraught because he didn't preach about the ressurection. Disillusioned, I went to the super market after running an errand and could not find the food coloring. I had to go to another super market to find it. After searching for what I thought would be a sharing and blinding of cultures through coloring eggs, I found these tiny bottles for $2.50 a pop!!!!! I was livid!!!!!!!!!! How can I afford to color eggs with these prices?! The eggs cost $2 a dozen, less than one small bottle of food coloring. I left empty handed, and I'm still upset that Easter is so overlooked here in Costa Rica.


I guess in the states we use any excuse to eat chocolate, cook delicious meals, and be with family. I wish we could rub a little of that off on Costa Rican culture for Easter Sunday!

No comments: